summaryrefslogtreecommitdiff
path: root/doc/forum/Git-annex_deleted_all_my_files__44___how_can_I_recover_them__63__/comment_2_200a869f335909566b9ddab3032fd5a2._comment
blob: bb55a04edacb2f6c7a09de3177a6bbe9a2217484 (plain)
[[!comment format=mdwn
 username="https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawkW9u-8uqR62QBZjeTNCXsL7Ds55dAMGbA"
 nickname="Horea"
 subject="comment 2"
 date="2015-04-28T10:15:24Z"
 content="""
Apparently what happened is that whenever you want to set up git annex, you have to create just one repository, them *move* your files to a temporary folder on all your other media, *clone* the repository to the other media, and then copy all your files back to the clone and add them to git annex. This is a horrible workflow and not mentioned anywhere. If you do the intuitive thing and start by making a bunch of repos, because all repos are created equal, git annex will happily delete all your stuff on some of them. 

Indeed, as you correctly mention, this can go horribly wrong if you use direct mode and cannot recover your files. A shame, really, that direct mode is the only mode in which you actually have write and copy access to your files, and thus, for most - including myself - the only sane way of managing your files. For the record, I was able to retrieve my files, but to this day git annex is the only software I ever used that ever managed to lose my data. 
"""]]