summaryrefslogtreecommitdiff
path: root/doc/forum/Can_git-annex-import_--clean-duplicates_honour_multiple_backends__63__.mdwn
blob: d73c7be990c9666a4935aba919c63cf60b7cf91d (plain)
Multiple backends can be stated in the .git/config annex.backends option -- but what is the purpose of the secondary backends? The first is used to add new files, but the second (third, fourth, ...) do not seem to serve any purpose.

I frequently use git-annex to de-duplicate. The default SHA256E backend has caused issues since filename case is significant, so I have partially switched to SHA256. Now, as far as I can tell, I have to de-duplicate once per possible backend like

git annex import --clean-duplicates --backend=SHA256E  fileA.pdf fileB.PDF ...
    git annex import --clean-duplicates --backend=SHA256   fileA.pdf fileB.PDF ...
    git annex import --clean-duplicates --backend=SKEIN256 fileA.pdf fileB.PDF ...

even when my .git/config has annex.backends = "SHA256E SHA256 SKEIN256 ...". In this use case I wouldn't mind hashing the file multiple times.

Is there a better way to de-duplicate using multiple backends?

---

PS. Thanks for git-annex Joey. I have around 100 annexes and rely on them on a daily basis.