I am struggling for so long time, everytime getting different errors :( :( I digged up my backup and started from scratch. Still not working. On the (linux) server (directory contains already files): cd bin git init git annex init server git annex direct git annex add . Then, on the Windows client: $ git clone ssh://me@server/srv/data/bin bin Cloning into 'bin'... warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout. What's going on here? EDIT: Of course, I would not ask if everything would work as expected. But the client repository in windows is always empty, no matter what I do (issueing git annex init, git add remote, git annex sync, ...) does not seem to help me ... EDIT2: When I continue on the windows side (despite the warning): cd bin git annex init client git annex sync Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive). (merging origin/git-annex origin/synced/git-annex into git-annex...) (Recording state in git...) Remote origin does not have git-annex installed; setting annex-ignore commit ok pull origin Already up-to-date! Merge made by the 'recursive' strategy. ok push origin To ssh://me@server/srv/data/bin b79922f..4fe0505 git-annex -> synced/git-annex 2f6a601..02a2603 annex/direct/master -> synced/master ok But that's not true, git-annex is definitely installed on the server (it's just the Debian package and it resides in /usr/bin/git-annex). In any case, the client repository is still empty EDIT3: Struggle, struggle, ... Finally, for whatever reason, the client dir is not empty. What seems to be missing on the server was: git annex sync but this is never written (also not in the walkthrough). Can anyone tell me if it's required and why? Furthermore, even that I "see" at least the file references now, I am not able to get them: $ git annex get apps get apps/gitignore (not available) Try making some of these repositories available: 10d0ffd8-f499-4b55-83e6-ff58cd98edc5 -- server (Note that these git remotes have annex-ignore set: origin) failed git-annex: get: 1 failed That's an SSH remote, it *is* available! What is meant by that?