I've been wondering about using `git-annex` and `bup` together - but _not_ with `bup` as the backend, but rather backing up `bup` repos using `git-annex`. Let me try to explain... * `bup` is a a great deduplicating backup tool, but it does not have encryption * `git-annex` is a awesome in so many ways. Including 1) multiple copies, 2) encryption (I know the following reads like the motivation for `git-annex`, but let me add the word **backup**) * Recovering large backups over the internet can be costly and time consuming * Local copies are fast, but are risky So I was wondering about having my `bup` repos in `git-annex`, with multiple copies, including, say, an encrypted S3 bucket and some local copies. Then, if I had a problem and needed to restore I could use my local copies for as much as I could and then only pull part of the backup from the complete remote backup. If that all works, I then have: 1. A more complicated process than a simple backup tool :-( 2. Multiple complete backups available :-D 3. Encrypted, offsite backups :-D 4. Small transfers (`bup` uses the awesomness of `git` to dedup the hell out of your data) :-D --- I've not done this yet, but was thinking it through. Can anyone share some opinions, thoughts, concerns or high-5s for the awesomeness of my idea? ;-)